To help lift individuals and families from poverty by providing the organization of resources and assets to address and meet the needs of our community.
Create opportunities for families and individuals to develop their skills & knowledge to build assets for a stable future and a strong community.
The Cowlitz Asset Building Coalition (CABC) has had the opportunity to assemble local organizations and propel forward the asset building movement for residents of Cowlitz and Wahkiakum Counties in SW Washington State.
Our local coalition first formed in November of 2006 and has met monthly since that date. Lower Columbia CAP has taken a lead role in this effort and has maintained a lead role in several of the strategies. Current members include social service agencies, housing agencies, financial institutions, including banks and credit unions, local credit counseling organization, Council of Governments, workforce development, and DSHS.
CABC and its partner organizations have engaged in state and national demonstration projects, sharing successes, best practices and lessons learned in this newly emerging field. We continue to assist Cowlitz County citizens to establish savings, purchase assets, and increase wealth. A primary focus of these local strategies has been placed on financial education of both citizens and front line staff.
- To build self-confident families and remove barriers to becoming self sufficient
- Provide value to the work force and give tangible benefits to working poor
- Allowing for access to products and services that are a key piece of building healthy families
- Building assets that allow people to be in charge of their own lives
- Helping develop a vital community and creates neighborhoods that thrive
- Reducing family financial stress
- Allow participants the freedom to plan for their future with a “can do” attitude