How to write essays:
10 good answers to the question
There are different types of essays and all of them require specific approaches. However, these general tips will help you to write any type of essay better and faster.
- Select a topic you are very well aware of. Even though in the University or college you usually receive specific topics from your professors in most cases it is possible to change or modify them. You can approach a professor and tell him about your ideas of changing a topic. If you provide good argumentation for doing so professor will not have other choices but to agree. It is really important to write about what you like. Such strategy will make your work faster, more interesting and better in terms of quality.
- After selecting a topic make a good and logical structure of your work. Start with an introduction where you can explain main concepts and definitions as well as the aim of your essay. Then dedicate a paragraph to explaining your research questions and objectives. After that that you can proceed to the main part where you provide the analysis and then to conclusion in order to summarize abovementioned arguments. Every academic work should include a bibliography featuring monographs, books and academic articles.
- Use good grammar and do not make lexical mistakes. How can your essay be good if it is written in poor English? You can have brilliant ideas, logical arguments and interesting conclusion however, the overall impression of your essay will be spoiled.
- Do not exceed over word limits. If you have a possibility to write a short piece do so. In the 21st century people spend less and less time on reading, they are looking at conclusions or just scanning through your structure and main arguments. Some professors use this tactic as well. Therefore, make sure that your conclusions and a structure are good enough.
- Invent a catchy headline. Even if you have a specific topic assigned you can also improvise a bit and add something interesting. Such strategy in most cases involve more attention to your essay or article and gives the reason to remember your work.
- Be concise and do not use too many words which do not have a specific meaning in order to increase a word count. After writing a sentence read it twice and make sure you perfectly understand what you wrote. Because how you can expect people to understand something written by you if you do not understand it yourself?
- Make sure you answered all the questions mentioned in the introduction. This is the first thing professors look at while evaluating your essay. If you had more than one question it is better to divide your conclusion into sections. However, the sections should also be connected and complement each other.
- Make conclusions after the end of each paragraph. It may sound complicated and unnecessary however, such strategy may help you to systemize your ideas and write a better conclusion in the end of the essay. A short summarizing sentence in the end of the paragraph should begin with such words and phrases as ‘thus’, ‘to sum up’, ‘finally’, ‘therefore’.